Total Pageviews

Monday, March 18, 2013

Ethernet Switch Market Share - Is HP Second

At Hewlett-Packard I was told "HP is second in terms of market share in Ethernet Switch Industry" . I was surprised , to be honest I was like "Is It , when did this happen" . I never thought of HP as a significant player in switching industry.

I did some quick read up  and the truth is , yes HP is second in terms of market share. But the difference between 1st and 2nd is very huge , Cisco is 7 times bigger than HP in terms of market share.  Cisco has 63% , HP has 9.3% , and next top 3 players are Alcatel - Lucent (3%) , Juniper ( 2.7%) and Brocade (2.4%).

Seriously  Cisco has such huge dominance in Switching gears industry and this is really outstanding. I think competitors such as HP need to do something very different to beat Cisco and gain  substantial market share.

For consumers it is always good if there are multiple big vendors than having a monopoly , as monopoly reduces the consumer bargaining power drastically.

I have copy pasted the sector graph provided by the IDC report of Nov 2012 for Switch market share. 

No comments: